- The Bell Media benefits package has been announced. This makes official the renewals of The Listener (third season), The Borgias (second season) and Flashpoint (fifth season.)
- In the same press bumf, the Saving Hope and Stay with Me pilots have gone into production. The pilots were revealed on December 9, 2010, along with Highland Gardens.
- Paul Gross and Anne Wheeler are attached to The Horses of McBride, “about a father and daughter who inspire a community to save two horses trapped on a snowy B.C. mountainside.” The TV movie will begin production in early 2012.
- CTV Two will air Sanctuary, Degrassi, The Listener and Flashpoint in 2011-12. Less encouragingly, The Listener and Flashpoint will air on Saturdays in “best-of” formats. Degrassi will be aired in a half-hour, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday at 7:00 PM format, Thursdays confusingly set aside for The Vampire Diaries. Sanctuary currently reruns on A Channel, which puts the lie to that “new to CTV Two” bullshit.
- HBO Canada will debut The Yard, a six-episode, half-hour comedy from Whizbang Films, on Friday, July 8. The first two episodes will fill the 9:00 to 10:00 PM hour.
- Channel Zero…is having an upfront on June 8! Yay? Returning Canadian shows on CHCH and Métro14 include Sportsline and Square-Off.
I like CHCH’s Sportsline. Mark Hebscher and Clint “Bubba” O’Neil have a chemistry that only comes from working in the same company for several years. Whenever a guest host fills in for either Hebscher or O’Neil, the quality drops. At the same time, are this and what used to be Live at 5:30 the token Canadian shows for CHCH and/or Métro14? That’s a lot of Hebsy to take in a day.
As an aside, why has Ed the Sock’s This Movie Sucks!‘ “new season” been delayed so many times? I know CHCH is a low-budget station, but the news side is much more organized than the entertainment side. Sportsline twice a day? Constant reruns of Everybody Hates Chris? I guess CHCH picked some cult hits in Supernatural and Chuck, but on the flip side, there’s this.